Wednesday, August 23, 2006

greetings from IOWA!

So...I had previously planned on being more initially thorough with this whole blog thing... I had desires to photo document the entire process of the big move. The parties, the packing, the move-out, the move-in and all the chaos that is strewn in between and around. Aside from the photographic side of things I also wanted to start this as a way to practice articulating and recounting my observations in a more outward way. Maybe that seems bogus and wordy, but it's what I mean. I have a feeling that the next few years are going to be very much about process and collection- so I may as well get a jump on things and start sifting through the sediment now.

Back to the imagery!

...I wanted you to see (even though maybe it's all too obvious) the visual transition from South to North... I wanted you to see what it looks like when you drive into Iowa over the Mississippi River by way of Interstate 80. I wanted you- my Atlanta lovers!!- to be in the drivers seat of a 16 foot Budget rental truck as I took a left turn down Quincy's gravel Avenue... up the short lane of my
1860's farmhouse shaded by overgrown arborvitaes- and get that feeling... this is home again.
Did you
catch a glimpse of my crazy dog racing around the yard to greet us in a frenzied blur?

But alas, the trip I made was solitary for the most part. My dad- who is generally silent and non-obtrusive, flew down to help me with the drive back. Most of my time was spent driving and thinking. Collecting the hazy memories from an amazing week exploding with drinks, hugs, sweat, love, and last minute connections; returning to the moments to savor them once again while simultaneously driving away from them.

I left Atlanta in the early, soft pink morning of July, 31st, 2006 and arrived at 1259 Quincy Avenue that very same day. So much was physically far from me, and that felt pretty heavy. But more heavy than the all the 16 wheelers that dominated my 1000+ miles of travel- was the weight of emotion I carried with me. I truly felt that I had left so much behind.
I still feel like I have left so much behind.

20 or so odd days have passed, and it's true...
I have proven myself wrong.
I long for Atlanta.
I miss the things I didn't think I would.
But I am okay with that! I know I am here in Iowa for one simple and specific reason= to finish school.

So- on with the next.
School started today...I've been working at a coffee shop...catching up with old friends and family... etc. etc...
I am moved in to my new apartment, and though it's a work in progress, I'm getting used to what it's like to live alone. Lots of walking around in my undies, really.
Iowa City is a small treasure worth delicate exploration, so I'm in the process of checking out the spots and what not- just trying to soak in...I'll do some features of the cool places coming up in future blooooogggs.

In the meantime, here are some photos, some of which will require more in depth explanation at a later time! Until then.
Much love from your forever displaced girl...

cabbagetown tunnel


scott and I trying to pop blood vessals in our face?!


me husking corn w. an effed up face- ultimate grilling session followed...


amazing shot by Bobb Lovett of the lovely home of said corn- if anyone is familiar with Iowa artist Grant Wood... this photo looks like one of his paintings!!!


bobb's senior photo that never happened- everyone ask bobb about the rental car story!!!


it is truly rediculous in Tipton...

2 comments:

Kapt Krazy said...

You didn't miss much..August has been hot and muggy in Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha!
So ridiculous.